For many years, the Office of Parliamentary Counsel (OPC) has conducted a Legislation Process Course to explain the process of developing legislation. OPC is now pleased to be able to offer an Advanced Legislation Process Course for staff of Australian Government agencies who are, or will be, instructing OPC on legislation.
The advanced course provides a more practical and in-depth look at some of the more complex issues associated with the legislative change process. It is presented by a team of experienced drafters of OPC.
This one day course is conducted at OPC's offices. The course costs $900 per individual (GST not applicable).
As places are limited, priority will be given to people who are likely to be instructing OPC in the near future.
The advanced course covers the following topics:
- Understanding your legislation
- Understanding Acts of general application, including the Acts Interpretation Act 1901 and the Crimes Act 1914
- Selected constitutional issues
- Understanding and instructing on commencement, application, transitional and savings provisions
- Understanding and instructing on consequential and contingent amendments
- Parliamentary amendments of Bills
- Policy authority
- Getting a Bill ready for introduction
- Before and after making legislative instruments
Completion of OPC’s Legislation Process Course.
Upcoming course dates
|270||Tuesday 24 July 2018 8.45am - 4.30pm||Fully booked|
|274||Tuesday 11 December 2018 8.45am - 4.30pm||Places available|
|280||Wednesday 17 April 2019 8.45am - 4.30pm||Places available|
If the above courses are all fully booked, please join our waiting list to be notified when further course dates become available.