*** All courses are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Check back later to see if courses have resumed ***
This is a one day course conducted at OPC's offices. A comprehensive course manual is provided.
The course is primarily designed for staff of Australian Government agencies who are, or will be, instructing OPC on legislation. Attendees can expect to gain a basic understanding, or to refresh their knowledge, of the processes involved in developing legislation. The course will particularly benefit officers who prepare drafting instructions.
This one day course is conducted at OPC's offices. The course costs $600 per individual (GST not applicable).
The course covers the following topics:
- Basic features of legislation
- Priorities and policy authority
- Giving drafting instructions
- Roles of instructors and drafters
- Parliamentary scrutiny of legislation
- Getting a Bill ready for introduction
- Passage of Bills and parliamentary amendments
- Before and after making legislative instruments
At the end of the course participants should have a better understanding of how to:
- contribute to the planning and conduct of legislative projects within their own organisations
- provide drafting instructions
- devise policy options which are more readily translated into legislative form and which are less likely to attract the attention of Parliamentary Committees
- make a contribution to the processes of revising and finalising draft legislation prepared by OPC
None, although as places on the courses are limited, priority will be given to people who are likely to be instructing OPC in the near future.
Course payment, cancellation and refund policy
Please see the Course payment, cancellation and refund policy page.
|XXX||*** All courses are currently suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Check back later to see if courses have resumed ***||XXX|
If the above courses are all fully booked, please join our waiting list to be notified when further course dates become available.