**Due to COVID-19, courses will be offered online. Each of our courses will be split over 2 half days. We will be using Zoom and will send participants the materials needed to participate online approximately 1 week before the relevant course. Those participants who do not use Zoom within their agency may need to use their own devices.**
This is a full day course conducted at OPC's offices and presented by experienced drafters. Course materials are provided.
The course is primarily designed for staff of Australian Government agencies who are, or will be, instructing OPC on legislation. Attendees can expect to gain a basic understanding, or to refresh their knowledge, of the processes involved in developing legislation. The course will particularly benefit officers who prepare drafting instructions.
The course costs $600 per individual (GST not applicable). Morning and afternoon tea is provided.
The course covers the following topics:
- Basic features of legislation
- Priorities and policy authority
- Giving drafting instructions
- Roles of instructors and drafters
- Parliamentary scrutiny of legislation
- Getting a Bill ready for introduction
- Passage of Bills and parliamentary amendments
- Before and after making legislative instruments
At the end of the course participants should have a better understanding of how to:
- contribute to the planning and conduct of legislative projects within their own organisations
- provide drafting instructions
- devise policy options which are more readily translated into legislative form and which are less likely to attract the attention of Parliamentary Committees
- make a contribution to the processes of revising and finalising draft legislation prepared by OPC
Please note that only staff of Australian Government agencies are eligible to attend these courses.
As places on the courses are limited, priority will be given to APS employees who are likely to be instructing OPC in the near future.
For further information on this course, please email courses [at] opc.gov.au.
Course payment, cancellation and refund policy
Please see the Course payment, cancellation and refund policy page.
Monday 19 & Tuesday 20 September 2022 (Morning)
Monday 19 & Tuesday 20 September 2022 (Afternoon)
If the above courses are all fully booked, please join our waiting list to be notified when further course dates become available.